Thursday, April 13, 2017

Libby's Quilt


My sister's name is Libby, so any time I hear the name Libby, it gets my attention. Libby Lehman is one of those Libbys. I have not met her in person, but feel like I know her. 

Libby Lehman
In April 2013, Libby Lehman suffered a near fatal brain aneurysm followed by a stroke and was unable to continue her work as a quiltmaker; but she has been able to walk, talk and continue to be the wonderful, witty individual beloved by so many people in the quilt community.

Libby Lehman in 2014
Libby and her husband, Lester, recently decided to put the remainder of her works up for auction, and I am thrilled to announce I am the winner of her quilt, "Woodland Chromatics" from 1984. 


“Woodland Chromatics” is one of Lehman’s earlier experiments with hue and saturation. It is like the half steps in a chromatic scale in music. Lehman enjoyed searching for the right fabrics to make the transition from warm to cool colors. The search provided a good reason to add to her stash. In my opinion, this quilt is one of the works that clearly indicated Lehman's arrival in the quilt world. 


Lehman’s good friend and fellow artist, author, and entertainer Alex Anderson filmed a segment for The Quilt Show, and Lehman explained her organization of threads and her fabric stash. As always, Lehman and Anderson had a great time filming the segment together in Lehman’s home studio in Houston, while sharing information and lots of laughter.  
Such a modern looking quilt. Lehman made it in 1984, the year I graduated from high school. I couldn't be more impressed. The quilt is 63" x 63" and is inscribed. And once again, I feel like the luckiest man in the world!

4 comments:

  1. Libby is indeed a treasure. I'm happy to hear this great quilt is now in your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! on a lucky win (and thank you for - inadvertently - providing the inspiration for the quilting of one of my UFOs. It's layout is somewhat similar to Libby's design.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a treasure! You are indeed lucky. My treasure is having met Libby over a 3 day seminar with Alix and Ricky. An experience I'll never forget. Thank you for sharing such beauty ❤

    ReplyDelete